Arts and Crafts Style
The Arts and Crafts style, which originated during the late-19th and early-20th centuries, was a reaction to the decorative excesses of the Victorian period.
This back-to-basics movement banished florid carving and emphasized straight lines and no-nonsense joinery. Quartersawn white oak, with its distinctive tiger-stripe patterning, replaced exotic woods. If stained oak is too somber or expensive for your taste, less expensive materials with painted finishes are equally authentic.
- Planning Your Remodeling Project
- Building Interior Walls: How to Frame & Build a Wall
- Customizing Walls: How to Customize Interior Walls
- Baseboards: How to Install Baseboard Molding
- Crown Molding: How to Cut & Install Crown Moldings
- Project Ideas
- Woodworking & Carpentry Tools
- Choosing Lumber Materials
- Woodworking Tips & Techniques
- Paint & Wood Finishing Secrets