Painted Floor Finishes
The key to making a painted floor look good for longer than a few months is choosing the right products -- primer and paint designed specifically for flooring. Depending on the product you choose, top coating with polyurethane may also be required.
Painting a floor is a relatively easy do-it-yourself project; the majority of time involved is spent masking and draping the surfaces you wish to keep paint-free.
Look for a floor paint finish that is washable, scrubbable, and moisture resistant. If you want to cover a porcelain, plastic, or tile surface, look for an epoxy paint designated for that specific purpose.Safety First
Many paints and finishes release low levels of toxic emissions into the air for years after application. These toxins, called Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs), were once essential to the performance of the paint. Consumer demand and new environmental regulations have led to the development of low-VOC and zero-VOC paints and finishes.
These new products, available from most paint manufacturers, are durable and cost-effective, and the reduced emissions benefit everyone including those with allergies and chemical sensitivities. The paints also reduce landfill, groundwater, and ozone-depleting contaminants. The paints have little odor during application and no odor once cured, so painted areas can be occupied sooner.
To determine whether the paint or finish you are purchasing is low-VOC, read the label. The VOC content is listed in grams per liter and can range from 5 to 200. A product with the lowest VOC content yields the lowest risk to health and environmental.
- Planning Your Flooring Project
- Preparing a Room & Floor for New Flooring
- Installing Ceramic & Stone Tile: How To Install Tile
- Installing Wood Flooring: How To Install a Wood Floor
- Installing Laminate Flooring: How To Install a Laminate Floor
- Installing Resilient Floors: How To Install a Resilient Floor
- Installing Carpeting: How To Install Carpet
- Installing & Staining Cement Overlays: How to Install Cement Floors
- Installing & Finishing Baseboards: How To Install Baseboard
- Paint & Epoxy: How to Apply a Paint or Epoxy Floor Coating
- Floor Repair: How to Repair & Maintain Floors